Fall 2015 Readathon Updates
Hiya! Time to dust off the ol’ blog for another 24hr readathon – which, let’s be honest, is usually closer to a 14hr readathon in my case. I haven’t been able to participate in a readathon for two years and I’m SUPER excited to be back for this, my TENTH readathon. (what. even.)
In the past I would plan my readathon books way in advance, putting all sorts of perfect selections on hold at the library and picking them up from various locations. But I am not nearly that organized these days, so I’ve plucked these beauties off my bookshelves.
Princess in Pink by Meg Cabot (the Princess Diaries books have been a staple of my readathon choices and I’m looking forward to hanging out with Mia again.)
The Root Cellar by Janet Lunn (one of my favourites when I was a kid and I found this copy in a thrift store a couple years ago.)
Beauty by Sarah Pinborough (an impulse buy from The Last Bookstore last month – I’m a sucker for a fairytale retelling.)
Dracula by Bram Stoker (I’m in the middle of of this right now, so I’ll probably pick it up here & there during the day.)
Happy reading : )
5:08am – I’m up & sort of awake. Let’s read!
6:45am – Hour 2 (Tea & Introductory Survey break time)
1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Beautiful (and currently still pitch black) British Columbia.
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? I’m actually really looking forward to getting back into Dracula. I took a break from it last week to finish Shutter for book club, which just made me even more eager to get back to reading it!
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? I think there’s still a leftover piece of pumpkin cheesecake waiting for me. Also, wine.
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! Hmmm… books. music. crochet. That about sums me up!
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? I still can’t believe this is my TENTH readathon. It’s been a few years since I’ve participated, so I’m just looking forward to settling in to my usual rhythm. In the past I’ve also participated as a cheerleader, which was always lots of fun, but this time around I’m going to revel in reading reading reading.
Reading: Princess in Pink by Meg Cabot
Munching: first breakfast – hot cereal & tea
Listening: nothing but silence
Books finished: 0
Total pages read: 122
Total reading time: 3hrs 0min
12:00pm – Hour 8 (The ‘I’ve been on Twitter all day’ Edition)
Books finished: 0
Total pages read: 221 (but far more tweets)
Total reading time: 5hrs 1min
Man, I forgot how fun it is to hang out with readers on Twitter all day. I’m nearing the end of my first book, and after 8 hours it feels like I should have more pages under my belt. But having a fun day nonetheless!
Reading: Beauty by Sarah Pinborough
Munching: Veggies & pita chips & hummus. Also, wine.
Listening: the whirl of the washing mashing
Books finished: 1 1/2
Total pages read: 394
Total reading time: 8hrs 28min
I wasn’t sure what to expect with Beauty at all, and I have been totally, completely pulled in. Time is flying by and I’ve almost forgotten that there are other things going on. It’s a really interesting mix of a bunch of fairytales, with Sleeping Beauty at it’s centre and elements of Little Red Riding Hood, Beauty & the Beast, and Rapunzel. But I’m only halfway through, so who knows what other surprises await.
1. What are you reading right now? Beauty by Sarah Pinborough
2. How many books have you read so far? 1 1/2
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? Still hoping to get back to Dracula.
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? No, not many. But have decided to at least one productive thing today, so I have laundry going.
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? How much time I’ve been spending on Twitter, which really should be all that much of a surprise.
10:05pm – Hour 18 (The ‘That’s it, that’s all’ Edition)
Books finished: 2 and a bit
Total pages read: 503
Total reading time: 12hrs 19min
I think that’s it for me. It’s been fun – until the next one!